Respiratory Care: Requirements and Continuing Education
220.127.116.11 Continuing Education Requirements.
Continuing education is a requirement for biennial license renewal or license reactivation.
- Continuing education hours must be directly related to respiratory therapy, pulmonary function technology, or related inter-disciplinary areas of health care.
- The department may consult with the board to resolve questions as to appropriate continuing education hours.
- The department shall be the final authority on acceptance of any educational activity submitted by a licensee or a sponsor for approval.
- Each respiratory care practitioner must participate in at least twenty (20) clock hours of continuing education activities every renewal cycle, or as provided by 18.104.22.168 NMAC and 22.214.171.124 NMAC.
- A minimum of twelve of the twenty hours of continuing education must be category I that include any of the following types of educational offerings:
- lecture - a discourse given for instruction before an audience or through teleconference;
- panel - a presentation of a number of views by several professionals on a given subject with none of the views considered a final solution;
- workshop - a series of meetings for intensive, hands on, study or discussion, in a specific area of interest;
- seminar - a directed advanced study or discussion in a specific field of interest;
- symposium - conference of more than a single session organized for the purpose of discussion of a specific subject from various viewpoints and by various presenters;
- distance education - includes such enduring materials as text, Internet or CD, provided the proponent has included an independently scored test as part of the learning package; and
- NBRC awarded continuing education credit for successful completion of re-credentialing exams for CRT and RRT level credentials.
For further questions and help with CEU credits, you can call or email the New Mexico Society of Respiratory Care (NMSRC) at:
Box 35517 Station D
Albuquerque, NM 87176-5417