Private Investigations: Requirements and Continuing Education
On the last day of your birth month, your license will expire. In order to renew you will be required to meet the following:
- Completed renewal application form provided by the Board office (also available on board’s website under “forms”) and applicable renewal fee. The renewal applications will be sent from the Board office 60 days before expiration.
- Proof of required continuing education credits in the form of a certificate, training form, company stationary with letterhead or college transcript. Number of continuing education hours is determined by an individual license or registration; those requirements can be found in 188.8.131.52 NMAC.
- All Level 3 Security Guards must submit a copy of their current Firearms Qualification Form. Firearms requalification courses will not count toward mandatory continuing education hours.
- PPO and Trade Companies must provide a copy of their Surety Bond or General Liability Insurance Policy showing it is in full force and in effect.
- Register at "https://www.cogentid.com/nm/index_NM.htm", ORI Lookup # NM920250Z. Complete fingerprinting at any 3M Cogent fingerprint location in the state of NM (map of location is on Cogent web site). The fee is $44. The background check results will be sent directly to the Private Investigations Board electronically
Pursuant to 184.108.40.206 NMAC, “renewal notices will be mailed to the last known address on file with the board. It is the responsibility of the licensee and registrant to keep the board informed of any changes in address and phone numbers. Failure to receive the renewal application shall not relieve the licensee or registrant of the responsibility of renewing their license before the expiration date”. Address changes must be submitted in writing to the Board office by U.S. Mail, fax, and email or online (click here for form
Mailing address: Private Investigations Advisory Board, P.O. Box 25101, Santa Fe, NM 87505
Fax Number: (505) 476-4615
Licensees or registrants failing to submit a renewal application and the required documentation on or before the expiration date will be considered expired and must refrain from practicing.
Pursuant to 220.127.116.11 H. NMAC, Approved sources for continuing education are:
- college level courses;
- in-house training provided by a private patrol company licensed by the department;
- the New Mexico law enforcement academy; or
- any other department-approved educational institution
TRAINING AND EDUCATION
Security guard training must be with the Board approved curriculum by a Board approved instructor. Please (click here) for a list of all Board approved training courses and instructors (including Firearms).