Osteopathic Medicine: Exam and Education Schedule
“FLEX” means federation licensing examination.
“NBOE” means national board osteopathic examination.
“COMLEX” means composite osteopathic medical licensing examination.
“USMLE” means United States medical licensing examination.
Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery Practitioners
In determining the fitness of an applicant for licensure by examination, the board adopts the following examinations: FLEX (federation of state medical boards of the United States) or the NBOE (national board of examiners of osteopathic physicians and surgeons) or COMLEX (composite osteopathic medical licensing examination) or the USLME (United States medical licensing examination.) Each applicant must register with the national board of osteopathic medical examiners or the federation of state licensing boards to take the exam at the most convenient testing site available. The board will not administer any of the aforementioned exams.
- Each applicant must earn a passing score of 75% or higher on each of the two components of the exam. The board will not accept overall or average scores. The board will accept passing component scores obtained at a single administration or at separate administrations of the exam.
- If an applicant fails either component of the FLEX examination he must repeat only the component failed. Upon failing one or both components, the applicant may repeat the component failed at the next administration of the exam. If the applicant fails a second examination, he must wait one year before taking the examination for a third time. If the applicant fails a third time, the applicant must acquire one additional year of AOA approved postgraduate training before being examined a fourth time.
- Both components of the FLEX examination must be passed within seven years of taking the initial examination.
- NBOE - Each applicant must earn a passing score of 75% or higher on each of the three components of the examination.
- COMLEX - Each applicant must earn a minimum total passing score or higher on each level of this examination.
- USMLE - Each applicant must earn a minimum total passing score or higher on each level of this examination.