Barbers and Cosmetologists: Requirements and Continuing Education
Continuing education is only required for the renewal of licensed instructors:
A. Instructors licensed to teach any course authorized under this act shall provide proof of attendance at a seminar of twelve contact hours or more per year for professional development or improvement of professional proficiency. Instructor licenses are renewed every March thirty first. Therefore, each instructor must obtain twelve contact hours of continuing education between April first and March thirty first of the following year in order to renew the license. Continuing education hours do not carry over and must be completed each year. For initial instructor licenses, the continuing education requirement will not apply until after the first full year of licensure.
B. Entities that are automatically recognized as providers of continuing education are listed below. These entities do not have to obtain formal provider approval in order to offer recognized continuing education for instructors. These entities do not have to meet the approval, recordkeeping, and certificate of attendance requirements. However, the licensee must provide proof of attendance with license renewal. Educational programs provided for the purpose of continuing or advanced education must be specific to the field of licensure.
(1) cosmetology educators of America (CEA) seminars and workshops conducted in any state;
(2) adult continuing education association programs in professional development, education, counseling, instructing or related programs;
(3) continuing education units (CEU’s) recognized by four year institutions in any state in professional development, education, counseling, teaching or related programs;
(4) all schools licensed by the New Mexico state board of barbers and cosmetologists;
(5) credits recognized for teacher certification in any state according to the following conversion table:
(a) theory (cognitive/lecture): 1 credit hour = 30 clock hours;
(b) practice/demonstration: 1 credit hour = 45 clock hours.
(6) attendance at accreditation and team training workshops and instructor continuing education programs offered by nationally recognized accrediting agencies;
(7) certification of completion of Dale Carnegie professional development and business courses;
(8) the pivot point instructor symposium classes;
(9) educational classes or conferences sponsored by the Aveda institute;
(10) conferences sponsored by the American aesthetics education association;
(11) classes sponsored by Milady/Thomson learning’s career institute;
(12) classes sponsored by Vidal Sassoon; or
(13) local, state, regional, or national industry trade shows with credit not to exceed fifty percent of the annual requirement for continuing education, or six hours; in addition, no more than fifty percent of the hours scheduled at such a trade show can contribute to the six hour maximum; the licensee must provide verifiable proof of attendance including an agenda of the event, a receipt for payment of attendance, or other such reasonable evidence of attendance;
(14) online faculty and professional development programs.
C. Licensee may also submit, subsequent to their attendance, copies of other programs and seminars that are not automatically approved. The board will consider such programs at the next regularly scheduled meeting and determine if credit is approved or denied. Detailed documentation of the program length and content must be submitted for the board to make a determination. Notification of approval or denial will be sent to the licensee within thirty days after the board meeting.