Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine: Requirements and Continuing Education
The Board of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine audits ten percent (10%) of the continuing education required for licensees eligible for renewal. Those Doctors of Oriental Medicine (DOM) who receive a renewal form by mail must submit proof of continuing education, fill out the required form, and mail in the appropriate fee via regular mail. Those who are audited cannot renew online.
If you are not audited and want to renew by mail, you can phone the Board office to request that a renewal form be mailed to you.
Those DOMs who receive a postcard for renewal are not required to submit proof of continuing education at the time of renewal and are encouraged to renew online.
1. proof of continuing NCCAOM recertification in oriental medicine, acupuncture or Chinese herbology;
2. proof of completion of fifteen (15) hours annually, or sixty (60) hours every four (4) years, of NCCAOM approved continuing education courses or of courses approved by other acupuncture or oriental medicine licensing authorities; or
3. a course taken for initial certification in expanded practice may not also be used for continuing education required for annual license renewal.
B. A doctor of oriental medicine who is a board approved examiner, examiner supervisor, or examiner trainer, for the clinical skills examination, shall be granted continuing education credit for time spent functioning as an examiner or training to be an examiner. This also applies to an observing board member who has completed the training. The continuing education credit is limited to six (6) hours per year.
C. The board shall annually audit a random ten (10) percent of continuing education documentation to determine the validity of the documentation.
D. A doctor of oriental medicine who provides the board with false information or makes a false statement to the board may be subject to disciplinary action, including denial, suspension or revocation of licensure, pursuant to NMSA 1978, Section 61-14A-17, and the Uniform Licensing Act, NMSA 1978, Section 61-1-1, et seq.
E. A doctor of oriental medicine shall maintain an understanding of the current act and rules.
CONTINUING EDUCATION FOR LICENSEES CERTIFIED FOR EXPANDED PRACTICE: In addition to the continuing education requirements listed in 126.96.36.199 NMAC, doctors of oriental medicine previously certified in expanded practice are subject to the following requirements beginning August 1, 2013:
A. a doctor of oriental medicine certified for expanded practice in one (1) or more areas as defined in 16.2.19 NMAC shall complete continuing education hours as follows:
(1) three (3) hours every three (3) years for recertification in basic injection therapy;
(2) seven (7) hours every three (3) years for recertification in injection therapy;
(3) seven (7) hours every three (3) years for recertification in intravenous therapies; and
(4) seven (7) hours every three (3) years for recertification in bioidentical hormone therapy;
(5) except that a doctor of oriental medicine recertifying in injection therapy or intravenous therapy need not complete an additional three (3) hours in basic injection therapy;
(6) a doctor of oriental medicine certified in basic injection therapy, injection therapy or intravenous therapy must complete an America society of health-systems pharmacists (ASHP) accredited course relative to USP 797 prior to July 31, 2016; and every six (6) years thereafter; and (7)
doctors of oriental medicine previously certified as Rx1 shall need seven (7) hours, every three (3) years, for recertification in prolotherapy as specified in 188.8.131.52 NMAC
The following DOM Expanded Practice courses have been Board approved to fulfill the continuing education requirements.
Extensive Bio-Identical Hormone replacement Course (click here)
June 5-7, 2015 San Diego, CA
AMMG 18th Clinical Applications for Age Management Medicine Conference (Click Here)
April 23-26, 2015 • Grande Lakes, FL
Learn Breakthrough interventions (Click Here)
Klinghardt Autonomic Response Testing (click here)
May 1-3 2015 New Jersey
Previous Approved Courses:
February 19-21, 2015 • Las Vegas, NV
2015 Riordan IVC Academy (Click Here)
March 13-14, 2015 • San Juan, Puerto Rico
Fellowship In Metabolic and Nutritional Medicine - Modules XVI(E) & Module XX(A)
MMI Module XVI-E - Cardio (click here)
March 26-28, 2015 • Atlanta, GA
IV Nutritional Therapy for Physicians (Click Here)
March 14-15, 2015 • Portland, OR