Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine: Requirements and Continuing Education
The Board of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine audits ten percent (10%) of the continuing education required for licensees eligible for renewal. Those Doctors of Oriental Medicine (DOM) who receive a renewal form by mail must submit proof of continuing education, fill out the required form, and mail in the appropriate fee via regular mail. Those who are audited cannot renew online.
If you are not audited and want to renew by mail, you can phone the Board office to request that a renewal form be mailed to you.
Those DOMs who receive a postcard for renewal are not required to submit proof of continuing education at the time of renewal and are encouraged to renew online.
A Doctor of Oriental Medicine shall complete continuing education in Oriental Medicine equivalent to that required by the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM). A Doctor of Oriental Medicine shall submit to the board at the time of license renewal either of the following:
(1) proof of continuing NCCAOM recertification in Oriental Medicine, Acupuncture or Chinese Herbology; or
(2) proof of completion of 15 hours annually, or 60 hours every four years, of NCCAOM approved continuing education courses.
If you are eligible for option one above and you are audited, you may simply copy your certificate and submit it to the board office via regular mail with your renewal form.
If you are not eligible for option one above, you may submit proof of 15 hours of continuing education approved by NCCAOM. All courses that have been approved by NCCAOM are acceptable. These courses and their providers can be found on their website, www.nccaom.org
. NCCAOM will not
approve courses for NON-Diplomats.
For continuing education submitted by an organization or instructor teaching a course and wanting NCCAOM approval, the organization or instructor must submit an application and a fee to become an NCCAOM provider. Contact NCCAOM for their Continuing Education Provider requirements at www.nccaom.org
or by phone at (703) 548-9004. You may also view their approved courses online and attend those pre-approved courses. If you have questions, e-mail the board office at email@example.com
or contact it by phone at (505) 476-4630.
In addition to the continuing education requirements listed in 188.8.131.52 NMAC, Doctors of Oriental Medicine previously certified in expanded practice are subject to the following requirements beginning August 1, 2013:
A. a Doctor of Oriental Medicine certified for expanded practice in one or more areas as defined in 16.2.19 NMAC shall complete continuing education hours as follows:
(1) three hours every three years for recertification in Basic Injection Therapy;
(2) seven hours every three years for recertification in Injection Therapy;
(3) seven hours every three years for recertification in Intravenous Therapies;
(4) seven hours every three years for recertification in Bioidentical Hormone Therapy;
(5) except that a Doctor of Oriental Medicine recertifying in Injection Therapy or Intravenous Therapy need not complete an additional three hours in Basic Injection Therapy; and
(6) Doctors of Oriental Medicine previously certified as Rx1 shall need seven hours, every three years, for recertification in Prolotherapy as specified in 184.108.40.206 NMAC;
B. license holders who are newly certified for Expanded Practice shall complete continuing education hours on a prorated basis during the first years(s) of certification, and then shall comply with recertification requirements every three years thereafter;
C. the continuing education shall be about substances in the board approved appropriate Expanded Practice formulary or formularies defined in 16.2.20 NMAC or updated information in improving current techniques or new and advanced techniques that are part of the Expanded Practice certification as defined in 16.2.19 NMAC;
The following DOM Expanded Practice courses have been Board approved to fulfill the continuing education requirements.
February 19-21 • Las Vegas, NV
2015 Riordan IVC Academy March 13-13 (Click Here)
March 13-14, 2015 • San Juan, Puerto Rico
AMMG 18th Clinical Applications for Age Management Medicine Conference (Click Here)
April 23-26 2015 JW Marriot/Ritz Carton Grande Lakes, FL