Alcohol Server Permits
Everyone who sells or serves alcohol in the state of New Mexico is required to obtain a permit by taking a New Mexico approved Alcohol Server Education class. This includes all Bartenders, Waiters, Managers, Liquor License Owners, Convenience or Grocery Store Clerks, and the Designated Resident Agent for the License. Server Permits are valid for 3 years. Temporary Server Permits are valid for 150 days from the date of issuance.
The Division issues and renews approximately 16,000 permits annually. The permits are valid for three years from the date of the class and must be renewed PRIOR to expiration. Also, temporary server permits are valid for 120 days only, if you have not received your permit in the mail by then you must contact this agency immediately at (505) 476-4875.
Please be aware of unauthorized providers for the alcohol server training, only those listed on our website are approved for the State of New Mexico. For the provider listing click here.
EMPLOYERS and SERVERS: To verify Alcohol Server Permit Certification and Expiration Date, Search RLD Database: CLICK HERE and pick Liquor Control for Profession.
New Mexico takes all violations of the Liquor Control Act seriously. A second violation for a sale to a minor is a fourth degree felony that may result in jail time of up to 18 months and a $5,000 fine. Additionally, servers may face administrative penalties for sales to minors or to an intoxicated person up to and including permanent revocation of the permit.
Lost or Damaged Permits:
You will need to file a Duplicate Server Permit Request Form: CLICK HERE FOR THE FORM
Submit the Form by mail or walk-in to AGD office, with a copy of your Driver's License, Current/Valid Mailing Address, and a $10.00 Cashier’s Check or Money Order, as we no longer accept cash payments.
RENEWAL OF ALCOHOL SERVER PERMIT: A Server will need to re-take an approved Alcohol Server Education class every 3 years. Please Note: only those listed on our website are approved by the State of New Mexico and acceptable by AGD. To View the list of Approved Providers CLICK HERE.
CLASSES: Check Course Schedule for dates, times and tuition fees. complete the Alcohol Server and submit it with the above listed items. CLICK HERE
SERVER PERMIT information, please contact: Kyla Larsen | (505) 476-4542 | Kyla.Larsen@state.nm.us
HOLD/SUSPENSION OF LICENSE: Server Permit will be placed on Hold or Suspension for pending Citation fees, non-compliance or failure to meet child support obligations.
TO CLEAR HOLD and/or PAY OUTSTANDING FINE /FEE, Contact the following AGD Staff:
Alicia Duran, Citation Manager | (505) 476-4555 | Alicia.Duran@state.nm.us
Marlene Romero | (505) 476-4556 | Marlene.Romero1@state.nm.us
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: How do I get my server permit?
You must take and pass an approved Alcohol Server Education Course. The classes are conducted by private providers, so times, locations and prices vary. To see the course schedule CLICK HERE.
Q: I lost my server permit. How do I obtain another copy? You can obtain a duplicate server permit three ways:
- Visit our office in Santa Fe. Bring a picture ID, and $10 (cashier's check or money order ONLY) and complete the duplicate request form. ONLY the person to whom the permit is issued can pick up the duplicate.
- Download the Alcohol Server Replacement Request form. Complete and return it to our office with the fee of $10 (money order or cashier’s check ONLY), and a copy of your Government Issued ID (Driver's License, Identification Card or Passport). This takes approximately 10-15 days.
- Call our office at (505) 476-4875 and we will fax or mail you the Alcohol Server Replacement Request form. Complete the application and return it to our office with the fee of $10 (money order or cashier’s check ONLY), and a copy of your Government Issued ID (Driver's License, Identification Card or Passport). This takes approximately 10-15 days.
Q: What if I’ve taken the server class and I haven’t received my permanent card?
If you haven’t received your card within 120 days after taking the server class, please call our office at (505) 476-4875.
Q: Who must attend class and obtain a server permit?
- Anyone who serves and sells alcoholic beverages and packaged liquor.
- This includes: owners and lease holders of alcohol licenses; owners of beer and wine licenses; bartenders, bouncers, waiters, waitresses, convenience and grocery store clerks; and resident agents.
Q: What are the age requirements to obtain a server permit?
- Only individuals over 21 years of age may sell or serve alcohol in bars, lounges convenience, grocery and package stores.
- 19 and 20 year olds may obtain a permit to sell or serve alcohol in a full service restaurant with meals, but may not be a bartender.
Q: Can an Establishment or Server accept a Temporary State issued Driver's License or ID when making and Alcohol Sale?
- Yes you can, as long as the old vertical ID is present with the temporary horizontal ID when the alcohol sale is completed.
Q: How can I renew my Servers Permit?
- To renew your Servers Certification you must take another servers certification course.